Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summer Post #10

I'm sitting here procrastinating working out. It was weigh-in day and I lost two more pounds, which is awesome. I am two pounds away from breaking into another decade (if you know what I mean) and it is a decade that I haven't been in for a long, long time. Two things happen when I am successful with weight loss like this:

1. I feel good and confident to the point that I feel like it is "ok" to slack a little. You know, have an ice cream, skip a day of working out.

2. I feel even more determined to stay on it and stay focused because I am so close to a goal.

Yes, both these things happen simultaneously. I will be swayed either way depending on external factors. So, the fact that I didn't have time to work out this morning because Mimi had a doctor's appointment at 8:45 is not a good thing because as the day goes on I am less motivated to work out plus, you know, two more pounds...feeling a little too cocky here.

Also, after the doctor's appointment we spent the afternoon in the sun at the Jamison Square fountain so I'm all tired and burnt out from the sun. Oh yeah, I had a little ice cream while we were there too. So I really, really, really should go work out! I don't want to get all complacent because I am doing well and fuck it all up. Not to mention the fact that I am going on vacation on Friday and as much as I tell myself that I will be really mindful of eating on the trip and not go overboard, I ALWAYS end up being a glutton on vacations. So, I REALLY MUST GO WORK OUT NOW, right?

Ok, I've convinced myself. I'm going to finish this short post and then go work out.

I haven't started a new book though I have checked out two from the library and bought two new ones. I don't know why I l keep getting more and more books even though I already have a stack I haven't read yet. I figure I better start with the library books since I have them for a limited time. One is called "you against me" and the other is called "light beneath ferns". Weird. Both books titles are not capitalized on the front cover. Strange coincidence.

Now to log recent activities. Graham returned from his camping trip happy and sun burnt. He also has a small mark on his chest where his friend accidentally shot him with an air gun. Apparently Graham's friend's mom thought I would hate her and never let Graham hang out with them again. I am SO not that kind of mom. Shit happens, especially with kids. I can't stand moms that won't let their kids climb trees because they might fall out and get hurt. What kind of fucking world is it when kids can't climb trees anymore. So at some point I want to call the mom to thank her for giving Graham a wonderful camping trip and to assure her that I am not upset and will gladly let Graham stay with them again.

Having said all that, Graham was happy for two reasons. He was happy because he had a lot of fun camping, especially swimming in the lake. However, he was also happy to be home.

Since he had been camping and hiking and away from electronics for four days, I took the kiddos to Despicable Me 2 that afternoon (Saturday) and we had a jolly time. I don't think it was as good as the first one, but still very enjoyable. The little girl, Agnes, totally reminds me of Mimi.

On Sunday we walked over to the Woodstock Farmer's Market and bought some raspberries. Then we went to the library but, of course, Graham forgot his Summer Reading Card again, which has been done for months and he hasn't retrieved ANY of his prizes for it. I'm hoping they will let him take all three or four at once at not think he is just some kid that filled them all in for the prizes. The first week of summer that kid read A LOT!

That afternoon we headed over to the Portland Aquarium. My mother-in-law got us a year membership for Christmas and we had only been once before. It isn't all that great, but it is free for us and I figure we need to get our money's worth on the annual membership. Actually though, we really did have a lot of fun and both kids could have stayed in the shark room for hours and hours petting the stingrays and sharks. I especially enjoyed the shark talk given by one of the employees. Most of the kids and adults weren't really listening, still just trying to pet the animals. Then there's me. I am such a nerd and such a lover of learning at heart. I was intently listening to everything he said and I think he almost got annoyed with all the questions I asked. Although he did get really excited when he had just explained how the Black Fin Sharks can never stop swimming or they can't breath and they will drown and I asked if they slept. He enthusiastically explained how one half of their brain turns off so they can sleep and rest that part of the brain while the other half stays awake enough so they can swim. Then the brain halves switch so the other half can get a break. Isn't that completely fucking awesome! Yeah, I'm a BIG nerd.

Yesterday we just got a lot of stuff done, both everyday stuff and stuff in preparation for our trip to SLC later this week. I worked in the yard for about 1.5 hours and now I have multiple splinters in my hands and feet and one really nice blister on my thumb. I think the yard looks better though and hopefully it will make a good impression on potential buyers of our neighbors house. Not that I want our neighbors to leave. They really are the best neighbors ever, but I want the best for them and they are ready for more room so I'm willing to help however I can. Plus I want them to attract buyers that I like. I told them when they get an offer they need approval from me on the people that want to buy. I was kidding, of course. (Kind of)

And that brings me back to today. We took Mimi to her 4 year old appointment. She is completely healthy and normal. Then we went to Powell's where I once again spent money I shouldn't on books for all three of us. Afterwards we went to Whole Foods and grabbed some lunch which we ate at the park before playing on the playground for awhile. Finally, we splashed around the fountain at Jamison Square for about two hours, ending the festivities with a little ice cream.

Mimi is now asleep and Graham rode his bike over to a friend's house. And me? I'm going to go put on my tennis shoes and get on the Lifecycle and ride for 40 minutes. Thanks for helping to convince me to do the right thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment